Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Janice_22
Casual Contributor

Changing Medication

Hi all,

I am about to come off my antidepressant (been on for about 2.5 years) due to side effects (bruxism) ruining my teeth), and this is a terrifying process, after a few days i have already had withdrawal symptoms and it is not something other people understand. I liken it to having heart medication changed, Dr is messing around with your life but you can't tell your employer or friends about that.

I need support, I live alone, I don't want to relapse and lose my job.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Changing Medication

Hey @Janice_22, Welcome to the SANE forums. I'm one of the moderators.

I'm glad you have connected with us here. Thanks for sharing. The process of medication changes, from dealing with professionals to the withdrawals, is pretty overwhelming and can feel scary. You're right, it is also an isolating experience because of the stigma and lack of awareness. You've come to the right place and i'm sure you'll hear from our community members soon.

If you ever need to speak to a counsellor one-to-one you are welcome to call our Help Centre on 1800 187 263 (Mon-Fri, 10am-10pm) or online chat via sane.org. Sometimes connecting/hearing a friendly voice or having someone listen to our experiences can be so impactful.

Hope to see you around,

Sphinxly

Hi and welcome, @Janice_22 , it's good to have you here.

You have my empathy with changing medications - it is terrifying, you're right. 

Can you get your GP to give you a week off work - that's if you need it? Are you starting a different anti-depressant, as well?

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 

I hope you find the forums supportive. 

I tried medication for depression when my husband and only person in my life. I felt very sick with the antidepressants. I only had them 2 days. I find solutions in google. I ask questions and I get answers and Dr Google, with patience, spending some time, you'll find the answers you need. My husband died from the wrong heart medication. But because he was not me, and he was not mentally stable, I could not apply the Dr Google search/answers I use for me... I am sorry to hear you are in trouble. Try Goggle.

Welcome @Janice_22 coming off medication can be very challenging so I hope your Dr has explained what to expect.

Going to work can make life tricky for you at this time too so it’s great you’ve reached out to this forum.

Theres lots of friendly people here. Take care.

@Eve7 thanks for replying, my Dr said i would experience withdrawal at about half the usual dose, but no, it happened quickly after dropping a quarter. I was in a very dark place when I first saw this psychiatrist about 3 years ago, ( I have had some very bad ones) and I felt he had saved my life, now I realise its just guesswork and unless you can be admitted  as a private patient its going to take a long time to change meds. I am going back to my usual dose for a few weeks, then try to taper more gradually. I need to go to work, I don't have any paid leave left and have already been told I'm 'not doing enough'  by my Superivisor, I have just moved into my own place after being with my parents for 2 years, so i have rent to pay. I just want to hide from the world.

Tapering gradually sounds like a good idea @Janice_22 I’ve usually found that doing it quickly can be disastrous

Im glad you’ve found this psychiatrist and that you can acknowledge how helpful they’ve bee.

I find it difficult with working too and can relate to wanting to hide sometimes.

Its great you’ve moved into your own place even though the rent and working are reliant on you remaining well..

Im sure you can do this with support ❤️

@NatureLover thanks for replying, i have been told by my dr to go back to normal dose due to withdrawal then taper more gradually. Yes the plan is to change to an alternative medication, less likely to cause jaw pain, in the meantime, i am still waiting for dentist to figure out if root canal therapy will save my tooth. Not good times. I am experiencing side affects after going back to normal dose.  cant figure out how to solve all the problems, i have no paid leave left so every day off is costing me. I feel hopeless. i spent $650 on a new mouth guard and it just created more problems.

Oh @Janice_22 , I'm sorry things are so difficult for you right now 😞

I really hope the problems ease soon and you feel some hope. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance