Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Willows
New Contributor

Looking for help, advice, or just reassurance

Hi, this is my first post and first visit to this site.  I am desperate to get help for my son,  he is 20 years old and up to a year ago he had the world at his feet.  He has always been an anxious person but a year ago my husband passed away and this just seemed to send my son into a downwards spiral.  He wont seek help and every time i talk to him about it he says he knows where to go to talk etc but just wont do it.  He was once a happy vibrant and talented boy, who was and extremely talented dancer and was sought after by many european agencies.  Now he spends all day just moving things around his room, he struggles to commit to things and he hurts himself.  The slightest little thing will make him anxious and he speaks about how useless he is.  He was being treated for anxiety at one point but took himself off the medication.  He has self harmed himself several times and i am so scared he will end up a statistic.  I just dont know what to do, where to turn or how to help.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Looking for help, advice, or just reassurance

Hi @Willows, there's information on what to do in a crisis on this page. If your son won't seek help, you can call the CATT team to visit him at home. 

Do all states have a Catt or Pet team. Last time i called my local hospital they told me to call the police which i wouldnt do as he wasnt breaking the law?

Hi @Willows. The linked page says to ring your local major hospital. What state are you in? I'm in Vic and CATT have been very helpful, though sadly no longer a 24 hour service. I had to take my son to casualty, after first seeing a GP who rang the hospital to let them know we were on the way (that was in Tas). His second admission (in Vic) was organised by CATT and family drove him to hospital.

The reason that police are recommended is so it gets the person into the emergency ward faster and to the appropriate ward.
At least that is I was told when it was recommend to me.
I have not had a need to do it as of yet.
I am unsure how I feel about this but will do if it's the only way to get the help he needs then what choice do I have?
Wishing you luck and remember that the strong need a moment to cry or recharge too x
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance