Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

AshleyF
Casual Contributor

Emotional Stress: Ideas about medication?

I have epilepsy and that is treated by a combination of anti-epileptics and sedatives (for non-convulsant properties).

I am now experiencing a great deal of anxiety. I am at a place in my romantic relationship where I'm facing the decision of whether to hold on or whether to let go. Its causing me a great deal of stress and anxiety. My work performance has dropped and I'm having difficulty sleeping always pacing about, having multiple conversations with myself etc. [Emotional Stress I think its called].

I convinced my GP friend to prescribed an "anxiolytic" (which is supposed to help with stress and anxiety just for a short period (his script is for two months only) and indeed it is helping me stay more focused on the now instead of what may happen in a week or a month's time.  

The problem is that although they seem to have different names, what I've discovered is that an anxiolytic is actually just another sedative. And with both medications taken together I am ready to fall asleep at any time and am actually oversleeping! And this is just as problematic for my work where I have to have a high degree of energy.

I really feel like a guinea-pig right now with probably a new visit to the GP necessary and an adjustment of dose or trying another medication.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Should you medicate short-term periods of high anxiety? What's your view?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Emotional Stress: Ideas about medication?

Hi @AshleyF,

I am sorry to hear that you are facing emotional stress at the moment. I know our members will only be happy to help you feel supported during this time. 

Medication is a tricky subject as it has different impacts on everyone, and everyones experiences are always going to be unique to their illness and body makeup.

Just to let you know, as part of the forum guidelines, we do not discuss specific medications here for the above reasons. Members will be happy to share their input and support with you in terms of your current stressors and how they go about getting help from their GPs etc but may not go in to details about medication -so just wanted to give you the heads up. Smiley Happy

Dear @AshleyF

My mother was abusing me in my early 20's and I suffered from panic attacks and high anxiety as a result occasionally, but I managed to talk to my friend on the phone and he helped me tremendously.  I didn't take any medicine for it and with counselling from friends and support, I managed to get over it and overcome anxiety and panic attack.  A healthy diet and exercise helped too and also finding hobbies and meeting friends/ people at support groups helped me too.  Remember you need your treats too. 

I had drug induced epilepsy but went into remission when drug was stopped fortunately.  But I was having very bad  seizures. Haven't had any since drug was stopped. 

Hope you feel better soon dear @AshleyF, music really helps me overcome worry and anxiety and art and creative writing.  Hobbies are good.  I do cardmaking ..Pets are good and take stress away too.  My cat helps me relax and gives me unconditional love.  They lower your blood pressure too. 

10649900_614492831999777_3616125946666360382_n.jpg

Hi, thank you for informing me about the guidelines.

I am still not sure that "classes of medicines" constitute "specific medications" and therefore whether I have already breached the guideline or whether your message is simply advisory!

Nevertheless, the question I was asking is whether in the case of short-term emotional stress, medication or some other therapy has supported by other people's experience. I've already had helpful suggestions such as hanging out with friends, spoling myself to a treat etc. as just as helpful for them and I appreciate these suggestions as they come from people who have had first hand experience of something like this.

@AshleyF

I had a history of severe epilepsy from ave 5 to 23. This has been totally controlled since then with an anti-convulsant. I'm no longer taking these.

Some of the SSRI antidepressants are extremely effective in reducing anxiety. It might be worth asking your GP about the SSRIs.

I really hope you can find some relief soon. 💕

@AshleyF. I am on short term medications for my increased anxiety. I also take an anti depressant - SSRI.
I see my psychologist fortnightly to do 'talk therapy' which really helps.
Personally I find a combination of anti anxiety meds and counseling works the best. While the meds help reduce the anxiety, we learn ways of reducing those anxiety stressors with counseling.
Do you see anyone at the moment to help with your relationship decision? It might be good for you to debrief with an expert.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance