Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: 🎨 .... ART. CLASS ..., 🖼

Hi all, am back.

@Former-Member, my husband is a craftsperson too, in a different field. He brings a lot of artistry into his work, both at the design level and at the completed object level. It comes really naturally to him. He was doing an in person display of his work while we were away over the weekend (long weekends are rich in event choices!) and often when that's happening, I can slip into the crowd watching and hear people's reactions. Always kind of fun being the "fly on the wall". And yes, sometimes frustrating, but not too much so. Hubby does have a lot of drawings sitting around that are completey unrelated to his public work, so I'll probably try to sneak some of those into this thread at some point.

@Appleblossom@Faith-and-Hope, I'm not much into Brett Whitely's style, but sometimes a "cluttered room" self portrait is an attempt to include the world/personality of the painter in the imagery. Brett Whitely most certainly works at a level where the inclusions are unlikely to be incidental, but that's the "art critic' trap point where we've got no idea whether our interpretation of the meanings behind the objects is what he meant it as or not. 😄

And I love the character of the old shoes. Objects like that tell so many stories. 

@Faith-and-Hope I love seeing your works in progress ... adds dimensions to the experience.

Part of my reluctance regarding pics is that if we have too many "perfect" things out there, it can discourage people taking the first step .. into their own creativity ..

@Smc I prefer more figurative work than Whitely, and have great respect for his widow. I put it up as a prize winner rather than only obscure artists .. which is my usual tendency. Real live stuff is great .. just I cant draw, but am loving my phase of exploring art through the net.

I like the detail of the Pre-Raphaelites and the idealism of th Arthurian Legends.

800px-Edward_Burne-Jones.The_last_sleep_of_Arthur.jpeg

@Smc  now that's an adenture in itself.  How talented your hubby sounds.  The idea of you sneaking some of those 'extra layarounds' in for us to view sounds exciting.  Yes please do if you can 🙂

I have no talent whatsoever in this area, but I can look and appreciate a lot of things in my own way and I love learning about all sorts of everything. Exploring other people's creations is a joy.

@Faith-and-Hope   I too loved that you shared with us the stage process of your stepping stone interpretation.  It gives a whole new layering insight that I'd never really considered just looking at a final creation.  How wonderful you thought to share that with the likes of us who don't have the understanding of the "building" process.  You've provided me with  a revelation, figuratively and literally.

@Appleblossom  Closest to that I've come is studying the incongruities in Da Vinci's "Last Supper" when I was investigating the Rosslyn Chapel and Rennes Le Chateau mysteries. (long before Dan Brown wrote the Da Vinci code.)  Nothing to do with anything, except that your choice of art took me back to that. I also guess the themes are pertinent as well, thinking about it.  A little bit *cue twilight zone theme* ish.

Hi everyone .... 😊💕

I'm just bumbling my way around a rather full inbox today, with a fuzzy brain .... would like to have a nap but have techs here today working on electronics .... so can only rest up instead .... 

Might be a bit slow to respond ....

@Former-Member, you have probably worked out by now that the stepping  stones image has become a painting challenge with @Zoe7 on her art thread in the LE forum. @Heart is going to join us, working in oils.

Here is the image it was taken from, bearing in mind copyright of course, it can only be for our own home use and no financial gain drawn from it without the original photographer's permission.

It is a healing image .... reminding us that the challenges we are faced with are stepping stones forward, rather than a mountain of overwhelming events, which they can seem to be at times ....  if we take them in baby steps, or stepping stones is another analogy, we can make our way through the mire.

Anyone who wants to pick up some sort of art medium and give it a go .... all welcome .... ❣

@Twinings @stillhopeful17

Doing copies is a legit way to learn painting ... just acknowledging sources etc.

I have a copy of a Frans Hals on my wall in oil done by uncle.

Ummmm .... might be a good idea for me to actually post the image I just offered everybody .... :face_with_rolling_eyes: ...

I'm awake ....lol .... 😆

image.jpeg

@Former-Member@Faith-and-Hope@Appleblossom 

Really tossed up whether this belongs in the Hot Chocolate thread with the chat about craft and wildlife... or the Something to Smile About thread... here will do I guess. Mheeheehee....

spider.jpg

lol  hahahaha!!  @Smc  too funny!  Yep I see it.

Lol @Smc

Where are the other parts to your trilogy? @Former-Member. I thought they might be here.

currently sitting in various forms on my hard drive @Appleblossom  😛

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance