Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Re: Walking for Wellness

I stopped walking over xmas/newyears and just got back in from my walk this evening. Was a bit unfit.  Need to do resistance bands again but have been slack. I was disappointed I put on several kgs this time of year but that is to be expected but yes back at it again @Dimity 

Glad to hear you're back walking again @SmilingGecko . I've gained a bit too and am thinking of checking in with my dietician for a review. 

A friend just gave me dumbbells but I'm not sure how best to use them - perhaps while walking. Do you still use Nordic poles?

@Dimity Yes check how you use them first. They may have to be not too heavy and you don't want to injure your arms. I was going to walk with ankle weights and found out that wasn't such a good idea. Haven't used nordic poles in a while. The heat has been getting to me and did not want to go too hard with nordic poles. I'll go for another walk tomorrow sometime during the day depending on what the weather is doing but with a weighted vest this time. Good idea going back to the dietician. I had a care plan drawn up in late 2022 for my diabetes. I wonder if they review it every year or not. I'm not familiar with medicare on this. I have been eating too much so will have to cut back again. The holiday period got me into bad habits. Lets still keep encouraging eachother with this walking for wellness and (healthy habits) thread! 🙂 

Hey guys,

I haven’t been walking lately and have also gained over Christmas. I can change the name of this thread to « Walking for Wellness and Healthy Habits » if you want?

Meggle

I tried changing the name but it didn’t work past the first few posts

Meggle

Walking with weights could be hard @SmilingGecko , it's aiming high. My gp suggested going back to the dietician every 2 years and checking in with a podiatrist, but I'm only prediabetic. 

@Dimity just back in from another walk and found this cockatoo feather. We have lots of native birds out this way like rosellas. Yes using weights can be difficult. I'm struggling with my walking. May need iron levels checked. But the heat is oppressive. I also do chi machine twice a day now. 15 minutes on the chi machine is the equivalent of an hour and a half worth of walking. So do morning and night. Got to get the weight down. I'm sorry you are prediabetic. Please take good care of yourself. You don't want diabetes.

<image of cockatoo feather>

Cockatoo feather found on Smiling Geckoes walk todayCockatoo feather found on Smiling Geckoes walk today

Hello @Dimity @Oaktree 

The weather has cooled considerably since yesterdays and the days before's 30 degree heat so out for a walk again in partly cloudy and cool 21 degree weather.  Did a brisk evening walk.  My energy levels have gone up and I am very physically fit now. I surprised myself with my pace but certainly got the heart going. Was happy with my level of performance. It was the best walk I've done in a while in terms of endurance and pushing my limits beyond my previous capabilities.  The next couple of days should be cooler weather so more walking without oppressive heat thankfully. Is anyone else here still able to get out for a walk still during summer? I'm still scheduling in exercise whenever I can. Lets keep eachother motivated ❤️

Hello @Oaktree @Dimity @TAB @Shaz51 

Been for another walk today. Was tired after having broken sleep last night but pushed myself out the door. The air was cool and crisp in the afternoon. Did not carry weights or do nordic poles just a gentle walk in the neighborhood and the last lap of a local park.  Barking dog on the loose and couple walking with newborn baby in pram. There is a house I pass which is like a Greek Colosseum outfitted with roller window shutters and security voice signals that go off every time someone walks past. Its advertising you have money. The garden is basically circular brick walkway with a box hedge encasing an art nouveau statue. They dont have to mow their lawn. Kind of Franco Cozzo style (who was a furniture icon here in Melbourne). I live in a poor neighborhood.  The crime is pretty bad out this way, lots of break-ins. They had to have community meetings in the local school to combat home robberies and assaults because it was that bad.  I haven't seen any of it out this way. The people on the corner own flash sports cars in a poor house possibly from ill gotten gains

thanks for updates @SmilingGecko  just trying to have a breather here for a bit. Need to unwind.