Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery Club

Re: 8 Dimensions of Wellness

This article, with 260 citations, appears in The Canadian Vetinary Journal, of all things. 

Stoewen DL 2017, Dimensions of wellness: Change your habits, change your life. Can Vet J, vol. 58, no 8, pp. 861-862, here.

It's actually aimed at veterinarian well being, which explains what's going on.

Stoewen refers to what I call occupational wellbeing, as "vocational" wellness, which is quite good, and defines it as follows, which is also quite good:

• Preparing for and participating in work that provides personal satisfaction and life enrichment that is consistent with your values, goals, and lifestyle
  • Contributing your unique gifts, skills, and talents to work that is personally meaningful and rewarding

My only caveat is a need to be clear that "work" is not necessarily confined to a career, but is rather about your life's work or calling, which may well include a career, or not, or both.

@Shaz51 @Faith-and-Hope @Glisten @swift1 @creative_writer @Captain24 @Oaktree @Glisten @MDT , @Ainjoule , @Snowie Glisten @tyme 

I have nine faithful guides,
Each one keeps me whole;

Environmental keeps my world clean and green,
Social weaves bonds tight and serene.
Financial plans with prudence and care,
Vocational seeks purpose in the work I bear.

Emotional and Intellectual,
They walk beside me, true;
Spiritual, Physical, and Behavioral,
Make up the caring crew.

Behavioral shapes habits, day and night,
Together they balance my life just right.

Adapated from the poem "The Elephant's Child" by Rudyard Kipling (1902), part of his collection Just So Stories. The lines refer to the six fundamental questions that are said to guide inquiry and exploration:

"I keep six honest serving-men

(They taught me all I knew);

Their names are What and Why and When

And How and Where and Who."

These six questions are often used as a framework for critical thinking, problem-solving, and investigative processes across various fields. They help in gathering comprehensive information and understanding different aspects of any situation or problem.

@Glisten Tomaatti thank you for this, I am looking forward to reading. 

I have some minestrone and cup a soups but no real soup. I had porridge for lunch 😁

@Shaz51 @Faith-and-Hope @Glisten @swift1 @creative_writer @Captain24 @Oaktree @Glisten @MDT , @Ainjoule , @Snowie Glisten @tyme 

2015 article in the British Medical Journal Open, with 618 citations…

"Review of 99 self-report measures for assessing well-being in adults: exploring dimensions of well-b..."

...notes, in part:

The dimensions clustered around six key themes: ‘mental well-being’, ‘social well-being’, ‘physical well-being’, ‘spiritual well-being’, ‘personal circumstances’ and ‘activities and functioning’. A seventh set of dimensions were identified that attempted to measure ‘well-being overall’ in a global sense. Table 2 contains a brief description of each theme, and the number of dimensions linked to each. The majority of dimensions were linked to ‘mental well-being’, followed by ‘social well-being’ and ‘activities and functioning’

Here’s table 2:

BMJ Open themes.jpg

I have bolded the connections to the nine wellbeing types of the tutti frutti model:

Mental well-being. Dimensions linked to the theme of mental well-being assess the psychological, cognitive [= intellectual [6]] and emotional [5] quality of a person’s life. This includes the thoughts and feelings that individuals have about the state of their life, and a person’s experience of happines

Social [2] well-being

Activities and functioning. The focus of this theme is the behaviour [9] and activities that characterise daily life. This involves the specific activities we fill our time with (vocation [4]), and our ability to undertake these tasks

Physical [7] well-being

Spiritual [8]

Personal circumstances. These dimensions are related to the conditions and external pressures that an individual faces. This involves numerous environmental [1] and socioeconomic concerns such as financial [3] security.

Wow!

I like minestrone; and am partial to cup-a-soups. I have porridge for breakfast, which is also good for the soul, in my experience.

@ENKELI

I have creamy honey porridge for breakfast @ENKELI , @Explorer7 

@Glisten , @tyme , @Oaktree 😊

@ENKELI , @Explorer7 @Glisten , @tyme , @Oaktree @Shaz51 

I'll add porridge to physical wellbeing, as the 299th suggestion.

Porridge, often made from oats, is not only good for physical health but can also be considered beneficial for the soul in a metaphorical sense. Here are some reasons why:

1. Nutritional benefits:
    • Rich in nutrients: Porridge is packed with essential nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Oats are particularly known for their high fiber content, which aids in digestion and helps maintain heart health .
    • Sustained energy: The complex carbohydrates in porridge provide a slow release of energy, helping you stay energized and focused throughout the day.
  2. Comfort food:
    • Warm and comforting: A warm bowl of porridge can be very comforting, especially on cold mornings. It provides a sense of warmth and coziness that can be soothing for the soul.
    • Nostalgia: For many, porridge is a childhood staple, evoking memories of home and family. This emotional connection can enhance feelings of comfort and well-being.
  3. Versatility:
    • Customizable: Porridge can be easily customized with a variety of toppings such as fruits, nuts, honey, and spices. This allows for creativity and personalization, making it enjoyable and satisfying.
  4. Routine and ritual:
    • Healthy routine: Including porridge as part of a morning routine can promote a sense of structure and stability, which is beneficial for mental health.
    • Mindfulness: Preparing and eating porridge can be a mindful practice, helping you start the day with a calm and focused mind.
  5. Cultural and historical significance:
    • Historical comfort food: Porridge has been a staple food in many cultures for centuries, often associated with nourishment and sustenance during hard times. This historical context adds to its comforting nature.

In summary, while porridge is excellent for physical health due to its nutritional profile, its comfort, versatility, and role in daily routines can also provide emotional and mental benefits, making it "good for the soul" in a broader sense.

I suspect having a bowl of porridge may end up being the only suggestion with its own page 😀 

@ENKELI , @Glisten , @tyme , @Oaktree @Shaz51 

A bit of fun this evening. Finn Willow is a made up name.

TFBoW cover.jpg

From here, to print 100 copies of a paperback book with 150 pages and a colour cover would cost about $1,700, or $17 a book. Add, I guess, $3 postage, and that's $20 to anywhere in Australia. All that said I'd probably go and see a local printer and get it done by them.

Hi 👋🏼 @Explorer7 the link you posted says Page Not Found 🤷🏼‍♀️

But it be worth while transferring all this wonderful information that you provided in your posts, into a pdf document.

You have done us all, an outstanding service by collecting all this information.

It would be great to turn it into an app.

G

@tyme 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance