Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Re: Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 6 March, 7pm AEDT

Hi @EliseSunflower,

I first came into contact with mental health services and was diagnosed with BPD in 1996 when I was 18 years old. The catalyst was that I was rejected by the man who I considered to be my father-figure. The more he pushed me away, the more I clung and I became increasingly chaotic. At his insistence I saw a psychotherapist. I had my first psychiatric admission within a year of starting with this psychotherapist. All of my psychiatric admissions have been for 72 hours or less in a public hospital and they have always just been for crisis management - I've never actually received any sort of treatment in hospital. 

Re: Topic Tuesday Focus Group // Treatment and support for people experiencing personality disorders // Tuesday 6 March, 7pm AEDT

Hi @OhanaSystem, thank you so much for joining the discussion tonight.

It sounds like you have a lot of experiences accessing different types of treatment. I'm sorry to hear that your mother was unable to access support.

What prompted you to seek help around age 15? 

Supports at that time was public hospital which was bad and my doctor

I was diagnosed with BPD 8 yrs ago, as well as depression, anxiety and childhood abuse.

I have had many many hospital stays (between 2-3 weeks at one time) to change meds, for rest or for crisis.  I am currently about to start a new medication on a clinical trial.  My first appt is next week.  It is supposed to help with my diagnosis.

Hi @BlueBay
Lovely to 'see' you tonight

I had just had my fourth baby, my father was very unwell and I was driving a two hour round trip weekly to support my parents. I had some sort of breakdown, took myself (and kids) tok emerg dept of large hospital,

@outlander Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear you haven't accessed the support you would like. How did you feel when you first received the diagnosis? 

Welcome @Catcakes @Phoenix_Rising & @OhanaSystem

Nice to see you all tonight.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Hi @Mum2eight, thanks for joining!

What sort of treatment or support were you able to access during that time (before your diagnosis)?