Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Maggie
Community Elder

The inflamed mind

The Inflamed Mind
A radical new approach to depression
by Edward Bullmore

PUBLISHED: 26 APR 2018
PRICE: £14.99
FORMAT: DEMY HARDBACK
EXTENT: 256p
ISBN: 978-1-78072-350-1
SHORT BOOKS TERRITORIES:
WORLD EX USA, CAN
Buy it now from Amazon.co.uk
Buy it now from Waterstones

Worldwide, depression will be the single biggest cause of disability in the next 20 years. But treatment for it has not changed much in the last three decades. In the world of psychiatry, time has apparently stood still… until now.

In this game-changing book, University of Cambridge Professor Edward Bullmore reveals the breakthrough new science on the link between depression and inflammation of the body and brain. He explains how and why we now know that mental disorders can have their root cause in the immune system, and outlines a future revolution in which treatments could be specifically targeted to break the vicious cycle of stress, inflammation and depression.

The Inflamed Mind goes far beyond the clinic and the lab, representing a whole new way of looking at how mind, brain and body all work together in a sometimes misguided effort to help us survive in a hostile world. It offers insights into the story of Western medicine, how we have got it wrong as well as right in the past, and how we could start getting to grips with depression and other mental disorders much more effectively in the future.

www.theinflamedmind.co.uk

““This is an important book, a hopeful book, for anyone who wants to think about depression in a new way.” ”
Tom Insel, MD, Co-founder and President, Mindstrong Health
““The Inflamed Mind is not only a dramatic breakthrough in our understanding of depression. It is an extraordinary exploration of what it is to be human.””
Matthew D'Ancona, author of 'Post Truth'
“"Suddenly an expert who wants to stop and question everything we thought we knew... This is a lesson in the workings of the brain far too important to ignore."”
Jeremy Vine, BBC
About Edward Bullmore

Professor Edward Bullmore MB PhD FRCP FRCPsych FMedSci trained in medicine at the University of Oxford and then at St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London. After working as a physician in London and in the University of Hong Kong, he trained as a psychiatrist at St George’s Hospital and the Bethlem Royal and Maudsley Hospitals in London, and as a clinical scientist at the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London. He has been a Professor of Psychiatry at the University of Cambridge since 1999 and is currently Head of the Department of Psychiatry and Director of the Wolfson Brain Imaging Centre in the Department of Clinical Neurosciences. Since 2005, he has also worked half-time for GlaxoSmithKline and is currently leading an academic-industrial partnership for the development of new anti-inflammatory drugs for depression. He is a world expert in neuroscience and mental health.

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: The inflamed mind

Thanks for the informative post. I am very interested in what research will find out about inflammation and depression.

Thank you Maggie for that information re the book ,I will make the effort to try to obtain a copy.  I too am very interested in inflammation within our bodies I noticed articles appearing on the Harvard web site 2017,it interested me.  I bought the subject up with my current Dr.  in December because I had 2 very visible areas of inflammation on my person that were painful.   He said it was new research and hoohaa'd me. I asked what could I do to control or elliminate inflammation from my body.  He ignored me.  Me being a very determined person did my own research.  I am now embarking on a journey of my own with vitamins etc.  When I next see my shrink next I will discuss it with her.  Regards to all you caring sufferers out there in sane/insane land. jay2

@jay2@Former-Member All the best researching. It's really a good read.

buy the bookRe: The inflamed mind

Did buy the book. Found it very interesting, he didn'd pull any punches. A bit of a slap in the face for Psychiatry.  Lent the book to my shrink who had not heard about it, hope to get some comment next visit.   In the mean time I am including Tumeric and Ginger to my diet,

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance