Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Managing your anxiety during uncertain times - with WayAhead // Tues 25th August, 7-8:30PM AEST

@Shaz51  say hi to Mr for me.

@SallyMartin  that's great that you found such good treatment, both the course and the support group.  What first brought me to the forums (2014) was that I was living near Darwin and there were no support groups there for bipolar or PTSD.  

@Former-Member   One thing that works for me is 'progressive desensitization' or graded exposure to the things I fear.  Plus CBT and mindfulness practices.  I also had EMDR for a while and I think that it reduced the frequency and intensity of my becoming 'flooded' as my psychologist called it - triggered is what most people say.

But since covid has greatly reduced my ability to get out (support workers frequently unavailable as well as times when the risk was greater e.g. venues in my suburb that a covid+ person had been to)  I have regressed quite a bit and am more easily flooded again when out.  I recently had the worst anxiety bout I've had for a long time that lasted for several hours.

Re: Topic Tuesday// Managing your anxiety during uncertain times - with WayAhead // Tues 25th August, 7-8:30PM AEST

@Former-Member wrote:

@SageSolid It is that uncertainty and the 'if' that we don't know/ unsure of that makes things so challenging isn't it! 

Certainly is! I guess sooner or later we have to realise that we have only token control and that's the wall we're chipping away at.

@Shaz51 and Mr.Shaz51, 

I can only imagine how challenging it must have been for him to have multiple diagnoses. It is just not fair how mental illness is being misrepresented and judged Smiley Sad

I also think it is hard for family and friends to understand, I am not sure about anyone else but my husband who was extremely supportive but still does not really understand.  I think we dont look sick, they cannot see all that anxiety in our chest and i think it is the anxiety that dives us to our rituals, worries etc

Hello  @Teej , @Eve7 

Mr shaz said hello @eth , he is off to go to sleep now  

@Former-Member , @SageSolid , @SallyMartin 

@Sage It is difficult when your loved ones don't understand what you're going through. While it took some time for your dad, I am really glad to hear that he had came around for you Heart 

Hi all 👋🏻

Ive been following along for a bit. For me personally I'm feeling anxious about going out again, not for fear of the virus but more that I've lived in my bubble for a while and I guess there's a bit of social anxiety and performance anxiety that is holding me back. It's something I'm not really sure how to tackle it yet. 

@SallyMartin 

My anxiety has gone through the roof since covid. My father has been recently diagnosed with cancer and currently undergoing chemotherapy so I have become a recluse and going out triggers anxiety. I've got a bit better than when it first "came out" but I do worry

Hello Mr Shaz 👋

@eth thank you so much of what you say resonates ❤️

@SallyMartin 

Do you have any tips for those here today on how we can cope with certain anxious feelings when they do come up during this time / or anytime for that matter

One tip that I would like to share is to be kind to yourself and focus on what you do know and can control. For me, focusing on what I know is me limiting my news media intake, thus to only read trustworthy news article and media release from the government. I also try to concentrate on what I can control such as wearing a mask when I have to leave the house, washing my hands, and maintaining an everyday routine as much as I can (wake up, go to bed, eat dinner at the same time).

@Former-Member , @SallyMartin 

It is the same with all my physical  problems,  people can not see what is wrong and they says -- you look ok to me but boy my body tells me otherwise 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance