Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday// Managing your anxiety during uncertain times - with WayAhead // Tues 25th August, 7-8:30PM AEST

Yes, I did my CBT treatment without medication and happy to say I have had OCD undercontrol for 30 years @Former-Member 

Re: Topic Tuesday// Managing your anxiety during uncertain times - with WayAhead // Tues 25th August, 7-8:30PM AEST

Evening all  @SallyMartin @Former-Member @SageSolid @Shaz51 @Tan1 @Wicked @Marion1 @Snowie @Lalala @BlueBay @MDT 

I've had various multiple anxiety disorders over the years and have lived with complex and chronic PTSD for many years too.  Also diagnosed with bipolar 1 in 2009 at age 46 tho I probably had it since my teens.  All my life I've had huge anxiety - social, panic attacks, agoraphobia, OCD at times ... the list goes on.  One thing I learned relatively recently is that most anxiety disorders are about 'what if' stuff - things yet too come that might eventuate.  However with PTSD the anxiety is largely about real things that have already happened that could happen again.  Wondering what people think about this?

To me, an anxiety disorder is more likely when anxiety repeatedly rears its head with no apparent trigger (what I call endogenous anxiety), or about specific things (e.g. social or work situations, going out of the house, or more recently the fear of covid contact) repeatedly.   

I also have NDIS funding and have found WayAhead extremely helpful with resources to get it and use it well and prepare for reviews.  Thanks for coming along @SallyMartin 

@Former-Member wrote:

For me, the biggest misconceptions and stereotype is the conception that some people are just worrywarts, and there is nothing they/you can do to make any difference. I also found that it isn’t helpful when someone says “get over your worries/fears. It’s nothing”. 

Yes the old "Just get over it".....aaargh

Yes @Former-Member @Shaz51 @SageSolid @SallyMartin   "Aren't you over that yet?" is one of the cruelest questions anyone can ask.  It contains such huge judgment that you are hanging on to something by choice.  That you can just choose not to be anxious.  

The worst misconception that I've come across was my mother stating that anxiety is just an addiction.  Needless to say she is no longer one of my nominated support people.

@Tan1  sometimes it takes a little while for the discussion to get going.  Most of us here are just people with lived experience of mental health challenges doing our best to support others and be supported.  

@eth Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I really like the two different ways you look at anxiety disorders! 

Hello @Anastasia 

@Former-Member , @SallyMartin 

My Mr shaz51  is answering your question  here too 

You have certainly more than you should have for one person.  I am glad you have found Wayahead has been able to help you.  Unfortunately these anxiety disorders can hit us at any time, during stressful time and also when we are calm and in a happy place.  Almost trying to ruin our mood. @eth 

It is so great to hear everyone’s thoughts and stories. I would like to move to a special question for our guest tonight.

Thank you for sharing with us about your lived experience with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in your introduction @SallyMartin 
Have you found these misconceptions, misunderstandings, and stigma to affect your recovery journey?   What has helped you in your recovery?

@Former-Member 

After 23 years of not knowing what was happening to me the GP sent me to a psychiatrist every week for two years who never once said I had OCD, I found out I had OCD through a women magazine article. I was lucky enough to get an everyday treatment program for three weeks, by the end of 12 months, I had my OCD under control.  Treatment was difficult but so worthwhile. I did Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. I had lots of work to do every day. It was done in a graded way, starting with the least anxiety provoking thought and ritual until we finally got to the most anxiety provoking thought and ritual. 

Other than treatment, it was suggested that I attend an OCD support group.  WOW this was just so empowering, I attended my first meeting and there was approx. 30 people, they all nodded their head when people spoke, they all understood each other no-one asked why do you do that? They just understood and tried to help and support each other.

@Shaz51 That's great to hear! Welcome to our discussion tonight Mr.Shaz51 Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance