Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

greenpea
Senior Contributor

son2

Hi everyone I am just so worried about son2 and his propensity to violent thoughts. He is a great big teddy bear and yet he can flip and come out with such violent thoughts. For example there is another client where my son2 goes to day care and son2 hates this client with a vengence. Son2 tonight was talking about doing the other client in and how he would go about doing it. 

Now son2 is 7 foot tall he is a big guy so if he decided to do something at day program no one would be able to stop him in time .... certainly not the women they have employed there ....  idk I have contacted day program and requested they keep son2 apart from the other client and tried to stress the importance without getting to alarmist.  Other than that I dont know what I can do ....

I read about what happened in St clair with the mum and daughter and in all honesty it could be son2 he gets into such a vile temper particularly when the voices are at him. I worry about him and his future .... anyway thanks for listening. peaxxxx

16 REPLIES 16
BryanaCamp
Senior Contributor

Re: son2

that sounds very concerning @greenpea . It's good you've done everything you can for now & let the daycare people know. Has he ever acted on his violent thoughts in the past or is this a new thing to express violent thoughts?

Just wondering if there is some history to it what helped in the past? Does he have a pdoc who can review his meds if thi violent thoughts become more frequent & more extreme.

hugs gp, a difficult situation.

greenpea
Senior Contributor

@BryanaCamp  Hey BryanaCamp thanks for getting back to me so fast. Yes he has acted out before when he has violent thoughts and particularly with this client but with others as well....   including myself in the past. I just dont want him to get into any trouble ....

So do you have any coping strategies to prevent him from acting out @greenpea ?

Gazza75
Senior Contributor

@greenpea, it sounds like you have taken reasonable steps to prevent anything from happening.  The only thing I can think of quickly would be to try and keep him active phsyically so he maybe doesn't have to much time to ponder these kind of thoughts.  When I feel pent up or agressive I take it out on a boxing bag.  Skipping is really good exercise and wears you out as well.  Can you look for new hobbies or interests to busy him with?

Is his behaviour or thoughts worse since he changed meds?  I remember you referring to him as a tornado recently.  Maybe you can look at that with doctors or health professionals.  

As a mum it is sooo hard to know what to do and who to protect. 

@greenpea 

Heart

eth
Community Elder

Feeling for you @greenpea   Sounds like you've done what you can to inform relevant others about what's going on.  Does he have an appointment soon with a pdoc who can review his meds?  What a difficult time for you.  I went through a few years with my child being violent too, so I think I get how helpless one can feel as the parent in those circumstances.  Really hoping he settles soon, you've talked many times about what a sweetie he can be some of the time.  Here to support you.  Take care.

is he receiving support/treatment @greenpea ?
Sounds like a right tough situation to be in. I am thinking of you GP
Eden1919
Senior Contributor

@greenpea  That is a very tough situation to be in and i think you are done the right thing contacting the daycare. if he does have history i would really consider seeing if you can get an appointment with his doctor sooner particualrly if he starts expressing these thoughts on a regualr basis just to make sure everything is ok. the other thing i wonder about (and i dont know what the exact situation is with your son2) but does he have trouble expressing himself and his emotions because if he does perhaps finding him a healthy and safe outlet might be helpful i know sometimes people who have trouble expressing their emotions can sometimes lash out in violent ways not because they are a bad person but because they get so frustrated and dont know how else to let it out..... if that is a problem maybe providing him with other ways to deal with it might help ease the tension. I would also look into if there is a specific reason he is having issues with the other client and see if those can be resolved. 

also make sure you are taking care of you as well Heart

@greenpea 

Heart

I agree with @Eden1919 

As a mum, if you can find a way for him to channel his anger in healthier ways, it would be the best for all.  Though I also know it can be hard to preach anger management if the ears are deaf ... so finding ways that they can express all the pent up energy ... LARPING or something cool and active ...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance