Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

SamB12
Casual Contributor

living well with Schizophrenia

I was recently discussing forgetting with my doctor.  It seems to happen when my blood pressure goes up.  Anything like relief, excitement, anger, frustration seem to cause me to forget what was happening and become confused.  If I a with another person they probably would not notice.  The original emotion remains but the conversation that we were having is gone.  Strangely I looked it up on YouTube and found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tt5v3q9T2o&t=162s 

What the lady describes in this video is what I am talking about.  Does this happen to others? Does any one know if it is a side affect of the Medication?  When I asked my Doctor She said that it was more likely due to my sever Anxiety. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: living well with Schizophrenia

Hi @SamB12,

My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. I wish I had some wisdom or insight to offer you regarding your question but unfortunately I don't have much knowledge about this. I can relate to the feelings of losing my train of thought if I am really emotive about something and can't think straight. I find this really frustrating because if I am having a heavy discussion with someone and want to get my point across and my mind gets jumbled I get frustrated with myself. Is this the type of feeling you have too?

Hopefully other forum members can give you some better insight and advice.

Best wishes,

FloatingFeather

Hi @SamB12 

Thanks so much for sharing.

When I read over your post, it was like bells went off in my head.

My best friend is also diagnosed with schizophrenia. Sometimes I can be having conversations with him, & all of a sudden it seems like he has no memory of what has been said.

I don't think it's necessarily due to distraction. And yes, it can be especially noticeable during times, when things are heightened.

I have learned over the years to try & keep my language direct. Sometimes, I notice that distant look & I will repeat myself. It has become kind of habit now, to speak clearly & not assume that other people have heard completely.

I really appreciate you sharing. It helps give me insight into how others people's minds can operate differently.

He is certainly not unintelligent - in fact, the opposite. He is very smart. Now that I know, that sometimes, his memory might be a challenge for him - I can be more understanding. Thankyou!

P.S. I might try later to read him your post & see if he can offer any feedback. 

He is not in the right headspace at the moment & has been extremely focused on his writing for the last day and half & not much sleep.

Hi @SamB12 

I have explained your description of forgetting to my friend. I asked him if that was something that he ever experienced. His response was, 'All the time.'

I could tell he knew exactly what you were describing.

It seems like it would be a distressing thing to go through. Strange that your doctor could not be more helpful.

Awesome job, finding the YouTube video.

Sorry you have to go through this. There is so little known about many mental health diagnoses. It shows great initiative & a willingness to take personal responsibility for your health to be so resourceful, in my opinion. Well done!! Courage in sharing your experience too.

@Judi9877 worth watching link to video (only few seconds long) that @SamB12 has found.... If you are interested   🙂

Thankyou @SamB12 

Kind regards

maddison 

I quickly wanted to add that I think I misspoke when I initially said that it was very noticeable during heightened times.

Now that I understand it more, it is barely noticeable at all. I actually had no idea this was his experience.

What I notice, is a generalised confusion at time& that is why I try to speak clearly & may repeat myself.

It does explain why the subject gets changed if we are having a debate! I tend to get more frustrated.

I will definitely try to be more mindful of the stress I cause.

Thanks @SamB12 

Many of my close friends didnt notice it.  They thought I was just having a vague moment and then being disagreeable, but I couldnt remember what we were talking about.

I play table Table Top Games like infinity and Settlers of Catan.  At my Games club people started saying to me "amnesia" and even though is sounds a bit rude I think it helped.  Eventually I realized.  Now that I am on a good dose of medication it doesnt seem to happen as much, but last year I was mid sentence in a yelling match and I forgot what I was yelling about.  

@maddison Maybe it is worth having your friend contact his Medical support team about medication.  Particularly if it is still happening to him.    

Thanks so much for your reply @SamB12 Your descriptions of experience give helpful insight.

Yes, my friend takes meds. He had been diagnosed for around 24 years! Thankyou for being concerned.

I have read small amounts here & there over the years, trying to educate myself. I learned about positive & negative symptoms etc. I had never know about the forgetting & have never come across anything in the literature.

They thought I was just having a vague moment and then being disagreeable 

This helps me so much & I think you have described it accurately. It's also helpful to know that the meds do offer relief from the frequency.

I agree, that saying 'amnesia' is rude. People generally don't understand, I believe. It was good outcome!

P.S. I don't think this really happens to my friend "all the time." My interpretation of his reply, was one of overwhelming relief, that someone had identified his experience.

Thanks for replying @SamB12 You sound well! Wishing you power in moving forward.

maddison 

I haven't been diagnosed with schizophrenia but I get the auditory and sensory hallinactions which are never nice to me.

I'm glad to meet others having the same experience

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance