Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Storm22
Casual Contributor

Struggling Again :(

Hi everyoneSmiley Happy i'm Rachael, i'm 27 and live with severe BPD, OCD, Major anxiety and depression, PTSD. I currently work 5 days a week in child care and am really struggling with actually wanting to go to work. I was going good for awhile and now i am so anxious before going to work that it feels like my insides are burning literally, at the same time i get the feeling of going on a rollercoaster when you feel your belly drop but it's constant, i no longer feel like i fit in and feel people are just picking at me. I had last friday off as i went to work and broke down. Any suggestions?

Kindest Regards Rachael.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Struggling Again :(

Hi @Storm22 

Welcome to the forum and apologies that your first post was mistakenly caught by our Spam filter. Generally posts appear imemdiately on the forums – even though it may be some time before others read your post and respond. Members are likely to have lots to say on the subject of managing anxiety (and mental health more generally) in the workplace!

I wonder if you'd be interested in introducing yourself again in this thread here ?Sometimes members who've been around for a while can then help to direct new members to conversations/threads that may be particuarly relevant for them.  If you want to address someone in particular you can place an "@ " before their member name and they will then receive a notification.

Hope that helps a bit Storm22 – and we look forward to seeing you around the forums. Take good care of yourself.

Hi @Storm22  and welcome to the forum 🙂. Sorry to hear you're finding it hard at the moment. I would find it very difficult to go to work if that's how I was feeling

Was there anything in particular that set off such strong anxiety for you?

There are lots of discussions on the forum about mental health and work, and about managing anxiety. I found a career chat discussion on Career Chat // Managing anxiety at work // CLOSED that has some tips in it which might be helpful. There's also a thread full of coping strategies which I enjoy reading through sometimes. You can find discussions like these by using the search bar if you'd like.

Is there anything that helps you or that you find comforting or grounding? I find self talk a big part of managing my anxiety. Listening to what I'm saying to myself, recognising which thoughts are coming from an overthinking, catastrophising head and then challenging them by 'fact checking' can be helpful. I also find grounding myself by connecting with things outside of me (the feel of my feet on the ground, the tiny details of something I can see, focusing on one sound I can hear etc) can take me out of my spinning head and calm me a little. 

Hopefully others will come by and share some strategies they find helpful too. Looking forward to seeing you around

Hi @CheerBear, hope your well and thank you. My anxiety is so extreme atm so just looking at anything to help, your advice means alot to me alot more than words can express, i will def try what you have mentioned that helps you. I have been sent home from work today as i just can't stop crying. It feels like an ongoing battle i just keep losing, and my emotions are exhausting me. I have found colouring in, painting, playdough etc helps though. Thank you for all your help, you are an amazing person!

Hi @Storm22. It's good to see you again.

So sorry your anxiety is so extreme today and that you were sent home from work 🙁 That sounds really hard. How were you feeling when you went in today? Did something happen that made it get to the point you couldn't stop crying?

Anxiety can be so exhausting. It's great to have a few things that you find helpful and perhaps calming or distracting (like playdough, colouring and painting). I have a glitter jar on my desk. I shake it and watch the glitter slowly swirl around and settle, and I find it helpful and calming sometimes. I also love crafty anything and find it soothing (most of the time).

Do you have any supports - professional people, family/friends etc.?

Hope you've been going OK since you posted. There are always people around here to chat to and listen. Keep talking if it helps.

Hi @CheerBear, great to hear from you again 🙂 i was just feeling sad since before starting work but have no idea why, it is really hard to pull myself out of such a 'state'. However, i'm like you. I enjoy anything crafty, absolutely anything. Thanks for the advice on the glitter jar 🙂 i will give that a go tomorrow and take one into work. I'll let you know how that goes... fingers crossed. I only have my partner for support as im like an "old dog" to my family now (they get puppies and as they age they generally get rid of them which is cruel, due to no longer wanting-loving them cause there no longer a little puppy). Thank you for being so amazing, i don't know what i would do without you x

Good morning @Storm22 . Really sorry to hear of your experience with your family. That's tough

Are you able to talk openly with your partner about how you're feeling and what you've been going through with work?

It might help to take something you find comforting in to work. I used to carry around little stuffed toys in my pocket to help with big feelings. I also have a cool eucalyptus stick thingy in my wallet. It kind of looks like a lip balm stick but with two ends - one is an oil drop and one you can sniff. The scent is so strong it's impossible not to focus on it for a moment and I find it can help with panic. Little things can make a vig difference I find. 

Wishing you the best with work today. Interested in hearing how you go if you'd like to share.

Hi @CheerBear 😊 I have tried the glitter jar at work today and it worked really well in time of anxiety and depression attacks, BIG THANK YOU! You have been such an amazing support and help, I'm so lucky to have met you, I will try incorporate different things, like you said perhaps the scent or comfort object will work....my partner is an amazing support thankfully. How are you?

@Storm22 

Hi Storm22,

Have been looking at a few different posts and noticed that we haven't heard from you for awhile. If you visit the forum here, I would be pleased to catch up and know how you are going.

I rejoined the forum in February this year, at about the same time as your last post. Since then I have been getting better at understanding how the forum works. At first I found a few of the features a bit awkward, but I'm gradually getting better at it.

In your last post, you mentioned that some of the focussing and grounding tips that @CheerBear had suggested seemed to be having a positive effect. Have you found any other activities that have been helpful? I also noticed that you are interested in a range of craft activities.

You have used the "@" symbol in front of CheerBear's name, so I am aware that you are familiar with that use to flag someone and let them know that you have posted a comment.

If you do visit the forum and would like to catch-up, I'd be pleased to hear from you about how you are going.

With My Very Best Wishes,

HenryX

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance