Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

greenpea
Senior Contributor

I cried today

One of my many side effects from my medications is that I have not been able to cry in years. It is like my tears well up and then nothing .... well all that changed yesterday. I cried. It wasnt full on bawling but the tears flowed and it felt good to be able to see and feel my own emotions. Does anyone else find it hard to cry due to mood stabilizers? My mental health nurse has said she has never come across it before.

25 REPLIES 25

Re: I cried today

@greenpea Heart

I haven't cried since I've been on meds, but, I've not been really upset by anything drastic.  Last year when my brother first had his accident I'd wake up crying and sobbing.

@Gazza75 :My dear friend Gazza75 heart:xxx

@greenpea,

Mr shaz hasn`t cried since he has been on meds,

he is not mood stabilizers

only anti depressants and anti anxiety meds

Hugs @greenpea 

Well I have often heard it and experienced it.  Sometimes tears are very cleansing.

Heart

@greenpea  When I was on mood stabilisers I felt just like you do. I couldn’t cry, though I desperately wanted to. My meds have changed now, and so the tears flow, exhausting, but good.

@Maggie  that is good to know I was beginning to think I was the only one. I used to be a cry baby growing up .... cry at the drop of a hat .... so not being able to cry actually is upsetting.

@greenpea  I have hear a lot of people say they can’t cry on mood stabilisers, and it is upsetting. Partly crying is a release, so if it’s not being able to be used, where do you release what crying would?

@Maggie  it does make you wonder doesnt it.... so many nasty side-effects of mood stabilizers and anti psychotics .... I don't know what the answer is.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance