Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Hello Peer Guides 🙂

That makes a lot of sense @Former-Member 

My mum has always said " it will pass "

So for all of us to " keep on keeping on " 😊🥰

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Shaz51  🙂

Wise words from your mum there, thank you for sharing them 😍

I hope your day went well today..?

I went for a bit of a scenic drive, however the clock spring in my car decided to fail so I had to head home. What the heck is a clock spring? Its the swivel thingy behind the steering wheel airbag that interfaces the electric components within the steering wheel with the steering column (the moving bit you turn with the non-moving bit it is mounted on - this thing holds the cabling in a little spiral that kind of winds around itself behind the airbag and on top of the steering angle sensor..in more modern cars that have traction control, that is.. otherwise it mounts to the column harness, and lets you turn the wheel while it unravels/winds up the little cables depending on whether you're turning left or right).

When the clock spring fails, you get a bit of a scraping sound when you turn your steering wheel, an airbag 'fail' light on the dash, and the horn, +/- steering wheel controls (volume, phone buttons, etc) will not work. The airbag 99% will not deploy in a crash, 1% may go off if it shorts - but that is much more likely to burn the fuse for the drivers airbag before a random deployment happens. 

And there you have it... my relaxing drive turned into a somewhat tense-ish nursing of the little car back to the comforts of home to order parts 🙂

Its my birthday... so I wouldn't expect anything less than a mild to moderate catastrophe of some sort, hehe..😉

Happy birthday @Former-Member 😊❤️❤️

Wow did not know that about clock springs in cars  @Former-Member , hope it is easy to fix 

Why do you have clock springs?

Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the lovely birthday wishes @Shaz51 🙌🏻🥰🌺 much appreciated! 

Yes, it’s one of those obscure little parts in a motor vehicle that is never popular until it fails and results in airbag faults 🙂

Its a bit fiddly to fix: disconnection of battery (which can cause faults in and of itself in the computer, if you don’t follow the correct procedure) to prevent inadvertently shorting the bare wires behind the steering wheel from the broken clock spring and having an airbag pop while you’re up close trying to disconnect the steering wheel (removing the kit around the column first to access the bolts behind, and ensuring the wheels are pointing straight ahead), then disconnecting the steering wheel from the broken clock spring, then disconnecting the clips and screws from the steering angle sensor (carefully - this will need to be replaced onto the new clock spring), then installing the new clock spring with care not to dislodge the mounting clip (which keeps the wires in place - this is so you don’t have too much wind out when turning one way or the other, which would snap the new clock spring), pop the steering wheel back on, hook up the battery, check the airbag fuse to ensure it’s a complete circuit (testing current with multimeter which checks installation), connect computer scan tool to clear the airbag fault (a major fault needs manual deletion using the scan tool), reprogram the new clock spring to the computer, then turn it over (start the engine) and check for faults on the scan tool. I stand outside the car at this point - just in case! Hehe. 
That’s just how I would do it for my own car, and I’m relatively comfortable pulling it to bits since I’ve done majority of the repairs and maintenance on it for the last decade - but, keep in mind I’m no mechanic; I always recommend people to seek advice from a relevant qualified tradesperson before undertaking any mechanical/auto electrical work 🙂

With reference to your question, would you be wondering why a car has a clock spring? 🙂 

If so, all cars with airbags have this; it’s the electrical interface between a rotating point on the top of a shaft, and the clock spring retains all the electrical wires neatly around the top of the steering shaft, to translate the signals smoothly with no snagging when the wheel is turned. No snags = safe steering 🙌🏻🙂 

Anyways, that’s how I understand it to be (however I may be not 100% correct - I have no formal mechanical training). 
With an old friend we pulled out the engine (he had the engine crane and stands, and tools) and I stripped down the engine, sent it for machining, and rebuilt it with new internal parts. I found it very therapeutic after a difficult time, and I got an excellent, meditative rebuild to boot ☺️

Very interesting @Former-Member 

My husband and step son love their cars , step son more 🙂

Myself I can't drive and never have but I know lots about cars over the years 

Hey @Jacques , @StuF , @TAB , @Bill16 , @MDT , @tyme , @Blackbird11 , @Jynx 

You interested in clock springs,  above message 

..bring back the HD Holden ... @Former-Member  sheese, computers etc, who knew..

Former-Member
Not applicable

I was hoping it may indeed be of some interest @Shaz51 🙂🌺

it’s one of those weird and wonderful things that happens in a car that isn’t very well known! 🙂

I can relate to your husbands’ and stepsons’ love of cars 🙂

Knowing lots about cars yourself, do you also enjoy working on them? 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hey there @TAB 🙂

Yes; the cars that were truly mechanical objects with electrics as a function of distributing spark timing, charging the battery, and powering lights and radio are something special..they give a much more direct sense of connectedness to the machine and the road, imho😎

More modern vehicles with so many control interfaces governed by a computer between the driver and the road, that seems to think differently to me makes it like I’m herding cats when trying to get it to do something that it’s not programmed for, while waiting for the computer to decide it’s next move. For instance, a drift is really difficult to initiate because of all the control measures trying their utmost to maintain traction (turning off traction control doesn’t remove ABS or power distribution in some AWD’s, for instance). I had a friend who had an XU1 2600 and I’m sure it spent more time going sidewards more than forwards 😁

My family mostly had 1969-70 Falcon’s and Fairlane 500’s, however I drove a Hillman Hunter or the family Bedford tipper 🙂

yes, bring back Kettering ignition, leaf spring solid rear axles, drum brakes , valve radios, no seat belts .carburettors  , leaded fuel etc @Former-Member  lol

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance