Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Hello Peer Guides 🙂

Haha! 🙌🏻

@TAB where do I sign? 😁

... 1965 .. @Former-Member  lol want being serious old cars look funny now and aways were crap to drive to drive. Rather have my not quite so old 05 commodore thanks. gosh that sounds old too..

Former-Member
Not applicable

Haha, yes @TAB i totally understand the humour 🙌🏻😁

My sis refused to drive many of the pre-1970 cars we used to have because of the frequent phenomenon of ‘anything can and will likely go wrong at any moment’ and she wasn’t familiar with fixing anything using the obligatory hefty tool box that was pretty much mandatory to keep in the boot! 🤭

An ‘05 Commodore is modern tech compared to the bolts of old 🙂

..I can’t help myself, though; I still keep a set of sockets and spammers in my boot…old habits ☺️

Former-Member
Not applicable

*spanners…autocorrect truly has no concept of tools!

yeah , on longer trips I have tools oh and zipties and things @Former-Member 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes - very handy stuff in case something goes a little askew @TAB  🙂

I have this excellent ‘magic tape’ that stretches, seals active leaks, and is extremely heat resistant, in with the tools, too. 
Couple of weekends ago I came across a guy with his lovely XY falcon on the roadside, so I u-turned and came back. Turns out he had bought a bad batch of fuel and you could see the filter was totally full of water. He said he didn’t want help but asked if he could use my tools, so I left them there and popped to a servo to grab more fuel (I keep an empty 20L jerry in the boot which I sometimes fill up if doing a longer trip), came back and gave a hand to flush the fuel pump before the new fuel went in. 
He said it was stopping every few 100 metres with having so much water in the batch of fuel he bought. They were on a fairly untraveled back road, so I thought it best to stop and lend a hand, since it was on dusk (I have torches and those chemical lights you snap to activate for those moments when you’re laying under a car in the night on the side of the road🙂). 
I used to be a truck driver when I was late teens/early 20’s, and some habits just haven’t faded! 😁

ha the bad old days of the upside down glass bowl fuel 'filter'  yeah ,empty refill, repeat. they prob went out early 1970s, ok same as the XY.  I had one once. Was not a happy tale nor time of my life lol. @Former-Member 

Former-Member
Not applicable

I never really understood the engineering of that particular but of kit, to be honest 🤔🙂 @TAB , it didn’t make sense! 🤭

Sorry to hear it wasn’t a happy tale or time of life 🌺

🙂

old fuel pumps were mechanical , had diaphrgam and glass bowl @Former-Member 

TAB_0-1706349170491.png

that lever on side runs off camshaft think 

@Jacques @Bill16 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes @TAB , I always thought it was a kind of weak-point in the design of the fuel system 🙂

Great image! Thanks for uploading that ☺️

The only benefit to it was easy access for contaminated fuel, I think..if I had bad fuel with the current 2013 car I have, I think it might be a lot more challenging to get at a spot to bleed it out, maybe (I’m not 100% with the injection system function, I can only put bits of it together, not knowledgeable enough to diagnose and troubleshoot much with that). 
Plus, everything is crammed in with very little space to manoeuvre tools! 
I worked on a Jag XF 3L diesel and it literally had no room at all between the firewall and radiator, and between the top strut mounts - couldn’t believe how anyone could service it crammed in like that (engine came out - had a fault with the crank). 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance