Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: dealing with loneliness and social isolation as carers.

@Smc 

Strategies around that are a hard ask... often the simplest one is to smile as if it's all OK... but that kind of smokescreen is isolating in its own way

I used to do this a lot.

On of the most freeing things I ever did was when a work supervisor asked how thing were wit the family. I started with the above mentioned smile and yea we all good. Then the smile Kind of broke and followed up with. Actually things are  not ok. Darling is in hospital after sa and under supervision due to high risk of follow up.

Felt so guilty for divulging that info but at the same time a huge weight was lifted.

Previous admissions the only people who were aware darling was away were obviously the children but my mum and darlings parents. 

It is a good indication of the level of social isolation when darling can disappear for up to 4 weeks and No one even notices she is away. 

I suppose what I am trying to say by that example is that it can help..a lot..to have someone safe to confide in. Finding that 'safe' and trust worthy someone is the challenge.   I have opened up a lot more since that time. Sometimes possibly too much. But  it is so much healthier than bottling it up and trying to manage alone. 

And of course. Being able to share here on the forum has helped me to navigate a very dark chapter for our family. 

@Determined, I've commented to Hubby that I should wear a badge that says:

"Don't ask "How's the family" or "What's your line of work".
Religion and politics are safe topics as long as you keep it respectful!"

The former two questions... they're the standard social chit-chat, but such a minefield when one (or more) of the kids are definitely not doing OK, and being a carer means than any career pathway plans have gone totally out the window.

The people who really understand what's happening, so that you can be open with them, are absolute treasures. We had that very much illustrated during the past week. One family connection we heard back about who was very upset/angry that we weren't up there to spend time with Mum sooner, and why haven't we sold their house yet? contrasted with another long time family friend whose son has struggled with serious MI, and she was so supportive. 🙂

Am hoping we can talk it through with the former lady. She's also a very caring person, but she doesn't know what we're dealing with behind the scenes.

apologies for not being able to join in..
I read every response and resonated with so many even though my situation is so different again..
I love that you have started this thread Shaz51..
the bigger circle applies to so many..thank you

@Smc  I hate being asked what I do for work. Uni has been a good cover but that is starting to raise more questions because I have been at it for so long. K8nd of hard to not feel inferior. 

@Determined, I tend to avoid exhibitions, particularly ones that include ceramics. We used to go out to lots of those, kids in tow and all. But it hurts seeing people I've been in classes with, or people I've previously exhibited with, moving ahead and developing their work when my workspace is gathering dust because I haven't even had the time and mental energy to pack up the area properly. One of those bits of background grief that can be so hard to explain. Makes it worse when well meaning people tell me I should just go ahead and get back into it if I miss it so much... yeah, nah. Not possible. 😞

So... the grief of life's plans put indefinitely on hold, and the loss of workplace and related social settings are other isolating factors. And just the plain old grief.

Sorry... feeling a bit flat tonight.

Hearing you there @Smc 

Screenshot_20200226-215002_Samsung Internet.jpg

One strategy I find useful is

saying something like:

"life took an unexpected turn which  . ..

... resulted in things being put on hold

. .. necessitated a change in direction

hello and tender hugs @Blip@Sophia1@Smc@Determined , @Former-Member , @Former-Member , @Mrsjones@Jay-e , @Former-Member ,  @Boo13@outlander@nashy 

what have you done today towards caring for yourself 

ammmmmm that is a good question 

@Mermaid1 

@Shaz51 

Thank you for asking. 

Today I took myself to a cafe near work, just sat alone had a coffee and a salad wrap. I would not normally do that and it felt great. Just reading the paper. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance