Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

New member, need someone to talk to please and thanks

Hi all, my name is Tayla and I'm 20. And as the title suggests, I'm a new member and just looking for some support.

I was on the Beyond Blue Forums, but needed a break from there so I decided to join here, and I hope this is alright to post and in the right topic, otherwise moderators, feel free to move it to a different topic or delete it if need be.

I'm really struggling, because I only see my Psychiatrist who is great once a month on Skype, and I've had to make an appointment with a new GP in a different town since mine is horrible (too much to mention, I might make a seperate post if it's OK, not sure yet). I don't see Psychologists anymore because of how bad they've treated me in the past. Even the local triage was rude so I never went there & they said they don't help people just admit people which I don't need.

Yes I've talked to Lifeline, etc. in the past. I just need some support and someone to talk to please. It would mean a lot if someone could reply but of course there's no pressure, but I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, also please bare with me since I'm a new member, I read all of the rules and I'm still trying to figure out how this works.

Tayla.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: New member, need someone to talk to please and thanks

Hey again @Former-Member It is really difficult when we have had such negative experiences with services that we are seeking help/support from and those we do see are not as often as needed. Unfortunately it is not uncommon to have unhelpful 'helping' professionals but seeking out a new GP is a good start. It is difficult to find those we 'click' with but when you do it is gold - so don't give up as those wonderful supports are definitely out there. 

I am very lucky to have a team around me that has been wonderful supports for me but I have also had a wonderful group of people around me on this forum as well - so I hope you find that for yourself here also.

Thanks for replying @Zoe7 , I appreciate it. It is hard, with the bad experience with my GP, it's made me scared to see a new one, but from what I've read about the new one I'll be seeing and the clinic in general, all of the reviews are good, unlike the clinic I've been going to. It's a 30 min drive there and back but it's better than being treated terribly in your own town and not getting any help from someone who's supposed to be a professional. I might make another post about it just to get some advice, is it alright to post about that stuff do you know, please? Also we can't mention medication and dosages here, right? That's what Beyond Blue Forums were like anyway, I did read the rules here.

Thanks again,

Tayla x

It is okay to talk about your experiences with health professionals as long as you do not mention names, areas or specific details. Talking in general about your experiences is okay @Former-Member 

Thanks @Zoe7 , and no I won't mention any of that, just that she's treated me badly (such as refusing to prescribe me meds and not knowing what I'm taking, etc). So in other words making my Psychiatrist do all the work. I told him everything and he wrote down a lot, especially in the last session I recently had with him. He's annoyed with the situation and her too, I don't know if he's done anything or will in terms of complaining, I was thinking about doing it myself. I have no problem with my Psychiatrist though, he's wonderful and he's the only therapist I trust, it's taken me a while to trust people in the health field, especially mental health.

It is great that you have a health professional that you do trust @Former-Member It sounds like your psychatrist listens to you and allows you to be part of your treatment so that is great also.

I am not going to make any excuses for your GP because I do not know the full story but it may be the case that she just does not understand mential illness at all - unfortunately not all GPs are comfortable or knowledgeable about the field and therefore do not give it the time or space that is needed. As great as my GP is she is also very open that she does not know enough about some medication for mental illness but she has made a point of looking up what my pdoc has prescribed and to be more across my treatment as a whole. I am very fortunate.

I understand what you mean, no problem. That's good that you have a great GP, you are fortunate, lucky you. Hopefully the new one I'll be seeing on March 2 is better, I'll explain everything to her.

I'll make a post about the GP situation, either tonight or tomorrow, and yes I'll be weary of the rules.

@Zoe7 

I hope this new one is better for you too @Former-Member Feel free to tag me in that post when you write it Smiley Very Happy

Thanks, I hope so too and will do! @Zoe7 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance