Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Is it okay to cry in front of a Psychiatrist or other therapist?

Hi everyone.

I'm sorry for this silly question but I'd love some advice please.

As the title suggests, is it okay to cry in front of any therapist - a GP, Psychiatrist and/or a Psychologist?

I've never cried in front of either, and I'll be changing GPs at the start of March (well that's when my appointment with the new one is anyway), so I might cry in front of her and my Psychiatrist next time.

I don't want to make them uncomfortable and don't want to be seen as weak.

Thanks,

Tayla

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Is it okay to cry in front of a Psychiatrist or other therapist?

As you have said on another thread @Former-Member it is your health professionals job to treat the whole of you as your present in front of them - tears or not. Crying is actually an outlet for expressing some of our deep down emotions and that has to okay to let out. Your treating team - especially your psych in your situation - are there for you and it is their job. They have undoubtedly seem many of their clients/patients crying so it would not be unnatural for you to do the same. Tears can actually let others into the magnitude of what you are feeling also - so yet another sign to those treating us that we are not okay or are feeling things deeply. In that respect I feel it is not only okay to cry but often necessary to show just how much pain or sadness we are feeling.

@Former-Member  I wouldnt worry about it. Psychiatrirsts have seen it all and more before. Just be yourself. Love peax

Thanks @Zoe7 , I suppose you're right.

Thanks for the support and welcoming me to the forums xx

Thanks @greenpea , I appreciate that and your reply. I guess you're also right xx

@Former-Member  honestly I have been manic and really quite crazy in front of my previous psychiatrist plus I had an awful crush on him :D. Luckly now I have a female psychiatrist who I am not attracted to one single bit Smiley Wink

Been my pleasure interaction with you today @Former-Member There is certainly a lot for you to work through but it seems you have a good support network around you with family and your psych as a basis for receiving that support ...and if this new GP works out then that is also wonderful. 

Aw that's cute that you had a crush on them! Speaking of which, a question for you both. @Zoe7 @greenpea  

I've been having a few of these dreams lately. My Psychiatrist is teaching a Psychiatry class and I'm in the class, he's a great teacher. He pulls me aside all the time to chat with me and ask how the meds are going. One time in the dream he was talking to some other guy that worked there and I walked past and he did the same. He also said in the dreams I'm one of his favourite patients.

I want to tell him about these but don't want to make him uncomfortable. It's really weird, I'm not sure why I'm dreaming about them. Kind of makes me smile though. Maybe I am one of his favourite pateints? I doubt it though

Thanks @Zoe7 xx

@Former-Member  Awww that is really sweet. I would tell him it is bound to make him smile and feel good. Dreams are interesting aren't they. Why we dream the dreams that we do is fascinating. Let us know what he says if you tell him 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance