Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ky_85
New Contributor

After Phycosis

A few months ago I had a psychotic episode which lasted what seemed like a few weeks. I dont believe it was caused from one particular thing as at the time I was under alot of work stress and not sleeping. I was a heavy marijuana smoker although which is likely the main reason for the episode happening. I was placed on antiphycotic drugs which at the time I believe were critical for my intial recovery. I was advised to take them for 12 months however made the choice to wean myself off them after a 3 month period as I didnt like the shell of a human I had become. I felt less isolated in my head after about a week but now 2 more months down the track I am finding that I am quite depressed. I feel no joy for the things that once made me happy. I am socially awkward and within myself I feel tormented. Can anyone relate? How can I move past this experience?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: After Phycosis

@Ky_85  Hi Ky_85 and welcome to the forums. I had severe psychotic symptoms back in 2015 when it was first diagnosed. Was in hospital for 2 weeks and put on medication. When I came home I thought I was fine so came off the medications only to find that I was sleeping all the time (sleeping my life away). This lasted about 18 months. 

Soon after that I had another psychotic attack and was initially diagnosed with bipolar 1 and was medicated for the condition. Soon afterwards I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and am on medication to this day.. 

What I have found useful in my recovery are visits to my psychiatrist and psychologist, medications (even though I hate them and would like to come off them) and my mental health nurse who is so valuable to my recovery.  Eating  healthy, no alcohol and gentle exercise. Boring but true.

ps: I am very socially awkward .... for me I think there was signficant damage done to my mind when I became sick with this illness. Doesn't mean it will be like this forever and I am very positive that it wont be but at the present time my mi has taken a huge toll on me. I hope this helps a bit. greenpea

the social awkwardness is something I can relate to @Ky_85 I have had this problem in the past. I guess it still exists a little bit nowadays too. It's a hard thing to deal with because we can be locked up by it.

@greenpea is a good source of wisdom on forums so I hope what they said is helpful for you.

@Flying_Hams  Aww thanks Hamsolo01 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance