Skip to main content

Open 9.15am–4pm Mon–Thurs

25 Lefroy Street
North Hobart, Tasmania 7002

Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Experiences of ECT and things to do to help side effects.

Has anyone done ECT, and has any hints for dealing with side effects of fuzzy memory and really, really bad muscle aches?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Experiences of ECT and things to do to help side effects.

Hey Tiger 🐯 

I have not had ect,but after spending 4 mths in hospital over the last 15 mths I know lots of people who have. My observation is that the symptoms fade and things can improve quickly. It does vary a lot. I do know that in hospital it's taken very seriously as a procedure and that often heavy duty support is given for the first few days or more after treatment.

Give yourself a bit of space and time. WriterMelb.

Thank you @WriterMelb,
I haven’t been written up for paracetamol, so I could only get that twice and now I have to wait for the doctor on Monday. I guess I also wanted to be proactive in taking care of myself.

Your doing well. Your mindful of where you are and taking steps to look after yourself. I try to do this. Sometimes I succed.

I missed breakfast and I’m still in bed right now and I’m avoiding the prospect of having a shower....... little steps.

Hi, I have recently had 64 days in a psych hospital with serious Major Depression and had 19 treatments of bi-lateral ECT...(both sides of my brain) and I have a lot of short term and especially long term memory loss...It is very distressing, but I'm slowly trying to re-enter activities in my brain and input past experiences! I have lost so many wonderful experiences and things I know I used to know...but not now!

Talking to my hospital psychiatrist

he assures me that it may return...but I'm not confident about that...so I understand your issue !

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance